Monday, May 13, 2013

Vito's Economic Development and Tourism Comission Application Letter

Seth,
I am interested in being appointed to the newly reconstituted Economic Development and Tourism Commission to represent a more balanced viewpoint.. I fully support the major private development initiative in town, that of the ski village. I have taken concrete steps in that direction by supporting SP Land's permit effort at the town and regional planning commissions and will continue to do so. I believe private investment is the way to develop the town not spending taxpayer dollars in what amount to stimulus plans for a narrow set of interests in the town, i.e. the bars, restaurants and motels. That viewpoint needs to be represented on any Economic Development Commission going forward. As you know I have been active in town issues for a couple of years now and have participated in efforts to promote development in town. Those efforts include meeting with state and local leaders in regards to state support of the town’s development efforts as well as attending the Regional Planning Commission meeting to support the SP Land’s efforts to accelerate it’s development efforts. I have met and conferred with the major players in town. And, as you well know, I forward to you pertinent news relating to our town’s profile in the media as well as possible economic development ideas.  
While I don’t support certain current efforts in total I do believe the town does need to adapt to a changing economic and environmental conditions. I believe the way to develop the town’s economy is to promote private investment in the town and support those efforts in a manner consistent with providing basic municipal services, i.e. roads, water, sewer, police and fire protection.
The town government’s role needs to be providing the proper infrastructure and environment for businesses to function.
I have a degree in Economics and have worked on development projects as a financial analyst so I bring that to the table as well.
Vito Rasenas

No comments: