Thursday, March 7, 2013

This Just In: McGrath a victor in ‍Killington

Rutland Herald
By JOSH O’GORMAN STAFF WRITER
  KILLINGTON — Residents hit the polls Tuesday to unseat a selectman and elect a new constable for possibly the last time.   In a battle of innkeeper versus innkeeper, Patty Mc-Grath beat incumbent Jim Haff for a three-year seat on the Select Board. Haff, who served one term, was hardly broken up when reached at Mogul’s Sports Pub and Restaurant in ‍Killington.   “I’m having a celebration party,” said Haff, owner of the Butternut Inn and Pancake House. “I’m celebrating getting my life back. The people voted and that’s the way America works.”   Haff, who has exhibited volatile behavior at Select Board meetings as both an audience member and a selectman, expressed tentative support for McGrath, owner of the Inn at Long Trail.   “Patty said she’ll work with everybody and let’s hope she’ll keep her promise,” Haff said. “I’ll be there when the budget comes up again in November.”   McGrath was also celebrating Tuesday night.   “I’m happy. I’m looking forward to helping the town move forward,” McGrath said from a celebration party at the Birch Ridge Inn in ‍Killington. “Right now, I’m just looking to change the way we do things in ‍Killington. I want things to be more discussion-oriented and calmer.”   E.J. Willis, who was also running for the Select Board seat, received 40 votes. Willis announced she was dropping out of the race during Monday night’s public information meeting and she encouraged residents to vote for McGrath.   “I’m glad Patty won. She’s a great candidate.” Willis said. “I’m excited with the prospects of the town of ‍Killington.”   In the other contested race, Whit Montgomery beat Mark Fiore for the two-year post of first constable by a vote of 331-119.   “I’m looking forward to serving the taxpayers, the second-home owners and the business people of ‍Killington, now and in the future,” Montgomery said. “I’m glad the people recognized my experience, both on the job and in life.”   Fiore was upbeat in the face of his loss.   “Despite the outcome, I feel like I won either way,” Fiore said.   It will be the last time voters elect their constable, for the time being, at least. By a vote of 281-166, voters decided to give authority to the town to appoint constables in the future.   Vo t e r s a p p r o v e d a m u n ic i p a l b u d g et of $5,093,080, an increase of $252,168, or 5 percent, compared to the current budget of $4,840,912.
  “I think it’s a strong budget that will allow the town to move forward and I look forward to working with the Select Board to make that happen,” said Town Manager Seth Webb.
 
Comment: I sure hope Patty moves the town forward.  Instead of backward to when the town was put into debt we’re still paying off because of the influence of the very businesses who backed her. I don’t know what she means by “wanting things more discussion oriented” as she complained that the meetings were too long in recent years.
But, no more sour grapes. She won and we’re going to have to live with the consequences for at least two years as Bernie’s seat is the next up for re-election and we’ll have a chamber slanted board for that time.
I know it’s a difficult thing to consider in the face of defeat but now more than ever we need a presence at the Select Board meetings.

2 comments:

Linda K. said...

I wonder why Josh O'Gorman reported on this election, when Cristina Kumka is the Rutland Herald staff member who regularly attends the Select Board meetings. In this article Mr. O'Gorman says, "Haff, who has exhibited volatile behavior at Select Board meetings as both an audience member and a selectman,..." I find the use of the word "volatile" to be excessive and misleading. Here are some definitions of volatile: Unstable and potentially dangerous; Apt to become suddenly violent or dangerous; Tending or threatening to break out into open violence; Explosive.

Mr. O'Gorman used the word "inflammatory" in his report on the Candidates' Forum the week before the election. Definitions of inflammatory: Rousing or likely to rouse excitement, anger, violence, rioting, etc.; Provocative: liable to arouse strong emotions, especially anger.

I attend many Select Board meetings. I would never use the words volatile or inflammatory to describe Jim Haff's behavior. The word I would use is passionate. Jim was there to do a job and he did it well.

I sincerely hope that Mr. O'Gorman's unfair characterization of Jim Haff did not cost Jim votes. Journalists are supposed to be unbiased.

Vito said...

Linda,

Cristina left the Herald a while ago. I agree with you his reporting is really slanted and he’s more than likely reporting hearsay as he has not been around long enough to witness any objectionable behavior on Jim’s part. Yellow journalism surely.

Vito