Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Humans of Killington

Rutland Herald
8/3/15

Cassidy Tedeschi is having loads of fun this summer.

She is a first-time camp counselor for the Killington Recreation Department and has spent the summer leading kids on adventures in the area.

“These are the summers where I should have a job like this,” said the college student. “Right now I’m working outside with kids every day, doing really fun things. I’ll have the rest of my life to work at a desk.”

Her favorite part of the job is not doing cannonballs in the pool, going on hikes or even getting an awesome tan.

Her favorite part is watching the kids grow throughout the summer.

“Their personalities change so much, it’s fun to see,” she said. “And I really try to be a good role model for them because it’s so important at that age.”

Some of her traits that make her a good role model are her ability to talk with the kids at their level. She also said she thinks she has a good balance of discipline and silliness.

Another reason she loves the job is because she loves getting involved with the Killington community.

She helped organize both the Fourth of July celebration and the Killington Chili Cook-Off.

“I think it’s really important to get my name and face out there,” she said.

She isn’t from this area, she’s originally from Rhode Island but is attending Castleton University (formerly Castleton State College, it will always be CSC in her opinion).

But getting to know her surroundings is crucial to her.

“I want to stick around Killington once I graduate, so I need to get to know the people and the area.”

She eventually wants a career in social work, but she also wants to stay on board with planning local events.

“This is a really great area with so much to do,” she said. “I want to stay a part of that.”

No comments: